Monday 12 March 2012

Lambley Dumbles

I headed out of the City through St Anns, Mapperley and Woodthorpe. After about 3 miles I reached a footpath across fields which took me to Lambley, passing through the Lambley Dumbles.
I learnt, today, that a dumble is a steep sided, wooded valley created at the end of the last ice age, 10,ooo years ago, by the ice melt forming streams that cut deep into the bedrock. Here's one:-
Lambley was the site of an old orchard:-
I walked through Lambley and continued North Eastwards, away from the City. Lambley:-
As I left Lambley, I walked past the Lambley Reed Pond Nature Reserve:-
I followed a footpath across fields for several more miles to Lowdham:-
The Beast of Lowdham:-
I had lunch in Lowdham and caught a bus back into the City. The dogs milked the passengers for attention, getting lots of oohs and aahs:-

No comments:

Post a Comment