Monday 19 March 2012

Dale Abbey

I drove out to Kirk Hallam bright and early this morning and parked up by the Pioneer Meadows Local Nature Reserve. I walked through the park and then across fields to Hermit's Wood.

Approaching Hermit's Wood - the ruins of the Abbey can be seen in the distance:-
The woods are believed to have been part of the original Sherwood Forest, they run along a steep sandstone cliff. The dogs on the cliff top:-
At the bottom of the cliff is the Hermit's cave. It was made by a baker from Derby in the 12th century, acting on a dream he had that the Virgin Mary told him to go there and live a life of solitude and prayer. Just a couple of cave dogs there now:-

Subsequently, an Abbey was built nearby, this is all that remains:-
The village pub, the ivy was swarming with nesting sparrows:-
I continued on, across farmland, to Locko Park, a statelt home set in a large park. The park is privately owned and access for visitor's is limited to a few footpaths that are, for the most part, fenced on either side. The grounds were large enough that I didn't catch a glimpse of the house.

I took a path that led North out of the park to the village of Stanley.

Approaching Stanley:-
I walked through Stanley and then took a footpath back, across fields to Dale Abbey and then retraced my route through Hermit's wood and back to Kirk Hallam.

It was great walking weather, I was out for just over 5 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment