Saturday 31 October 2009

New York Trip


Had a smooth flight over,leaving a bit later than scheduled as the plane was delayed coming in to LHR but made up time crossing the Atlantic and we arrived early at JFK. I flew with Kuwait Airlines - a cheap flight but there were the minor niggles - i didn't bother with the films as the sound and picture quality was terrible and the cabin lighting on my part of the plane wasn't working.

I got through customs in record time - my luggage was one of the first off the plane. I then had a short taxi ride to Nick and Dayna's, found their spare key as they were both still out at work and got in just in time to watch "Survivor".

Yesterday I set off into Manhattan with Nick and did some of the sights - first I went up the Empire State Building. I did that about 9am and was fortunate to miss the crowds, when I got back down 40 minutes later there was a long queue forming.

I then walked over to Grand Central Station and had a look at the concourse, a very impressive building. Next I walked back to the NY library for a free tour at 11 am which was well worth doing. the library and Grand Central buildings are both in the "Beaux Arts" style. The library is incredible, built from solid marble.

In the afternoon I waddled along to Times Square and down Broadway. I was starting to flag with my back aching from all the standing up/walking. I bought a guide book for New York state for my road trip next week - a "moon" guidebook - not come across them before but it was the only NY state guidebook in the shop and it looks like a similar format to the Lonely Planet books.

Had a coffee then headed back to Nick's office and commuted back with him. Had my first proper meal since the diet began - a Thai green curry from the local takeaway. It tasted delicious.

2 comments:

  1. Survivor watched from the USA - I'm officially jealous!

    Did you go to the little food alley at Grand Central Station?

    We missed the library - one for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! Now I've got to go back looking for a food alley.

    ReplyDelete