Monday 9 April 2012

The Garage that Time Forgot

It was raining lightly when I set off in the car this morning, I hoped that it would clear up by the time I started walking. Unfortunately, it has carried on raining all day, so it was a wet, muddy walk. I parked the car in the village of Church Gresley, where there is this garage. Half a dozen cars are entombed in metal cages by the roadside. They haven't turned a wheel for decades, as can be seen by the expired tax discs and thick layers of dust.

I asked one of the villagers what the story was and he said it has stood there like this for 20 years although the office has a light on every night. He had heard that it "was closed because of drugs". I'm sure that the real story behind this isn't quite that colourful, but it must have an eccentric owner.








 Behind the village lies Gresley woods, which form part of the National Forest. One of Maggie Thatcher's ideas, the area was planted in the eighties and so the majority of the trees are still quite small. I walked for an hour or so around the woods. My walk didn't really scratch the surface of what's there as the National Forest is huge. I didn't see a great deal as the rain was constantly fogging up my glasses and made walking quite slippery .

No comments:

Post a Comment