Thursday 2 February 2012

Hemlock Stone Circular Walk

I drove out to Bramcote Hills Park and started at the Hemlock Stone, Nottingham's answer to Ayers Rock.

The stone is halfway up Stapleford Hill, the highest point in the County. Here is the view from the top:-

I came back down the hill and along the main road for a bit to get onto the Nottingham Canal towpath. There is a long stretch of disused canal which makes a great dog walk. The route runs across the green belt either side of the M1. It was a nice crisp morning with a bit of snow and a healthy smell of dung in the air.


The sun came out as I approached the motorway:-


After passing underneath the motorway, there was another long stretch of disused canal heading North. Eventually I left the canal, near a small village called Cossal, and headed back towards the M1, stopping to explore the Oldmoor Wood Nature Reserve. The wood was completely deserted, apart from me and a few woodpeckers. It would have been quite peaceful if it wasn't for the constant hum of traffic on the motorway a few hundred metres away. It reminded me of some of the walks I did in New York State although the hum there was from waterfalls.


On leaving the woods I followed a footpath through a few fields and then back under the motorway:-

A few more miles of farmland footpaths brought me back to the Hemlock Stone, here's a view of it from the Holocaust Memorial garden on the other side of the main road:-


No comments:

Post a Comment