Thursday 15 April 2010

Back to Youlgreave




I intended to do an 11 mile circular walk taking in some of the many strange rock formations in this area, but cut it short as there was a cold wind blowing and (as happened last time I came to do this walk) I quickly became exhausted as its a hilly area and hills easily tire me out when I'm on the Cambridge diet.

I did at least find the right path this time and followed the Limestone Way as far as Robin Hood's Stride, the Nine Ladies Stone Circle and the rock formation containing the Hermits cave (a hermit is said to have lived there in the 14th century and has carved a figure of Jesus on the cross in one of the caves). The photo shows the approach to Robin Hood's stride, a rock formation shaped like a castle.

I didn't do the scramble up to the Hermits cave but, instead, I had a look around the stride, met some curious sheep that weren't at all worried about the dogs and then turned around and retraced my route back to Youlgreave.

No comments:

Post a Comment