Saturday 6 August 2011

Riverside Festival

I took the dogs for a walk down to the Riverside Festival. It's an annual event that takes place by Trent Bridge. This is my office which we passed on the way.
I was surprised to see an advert for the monkey forest (a troop of over a hundred free ranging Barbary Macaques in Stoke on Trent) as its about 50 miles from here. I guess that school holiday pester power has at least a 50 mile range.
I was tempted (but resisted the urge) to stop for a drink at Hooters as there was a friendly looking crowd milling around outside.

This is the view from the bridge. I dawdled along the river listening to a few of the bands that were playing whilst the dogs scavenged for dropped burgers.
I headed back into town along the canal. This is the view from my office. The development is called Southreef, a £40m mixed residential and business development that was started in 2007 and has been on a go slow ever since. The original developers went bust and then the businessman that rescued the development was made bankrupt. A few pioneers have moved into the flats, but it is, essentially, a mothballed ghost town. I can't see the retail units being let any time soon.


I stopped at the "Trip to Jerusalem" an old, touristy pub, for a couple of pints of Abbot and a few chapters of "The March" by E.L. Doctorow (historical fiction set in the american civil war). The dogs loved all the attention they got and the complimentary dog biscuits from the bar staff.

No comments:

Post a Comment