Sunday 13 May 2012

Southwold to Walberswick


I did this walk this afternoon on my journey home from Nigel and Tina's house. By the time I parked up to start the walk at the Southwold water tower, I felt fairly puffed out -  after a week of toing and froing, table football tournaments and wii dancing - so because of that and tomorrow's weather forecast (rain) I decided to head straight home afterwards, rather than spend a night camping.

This is the water tower, built in the victorian era, a local landmark that stands on a common on the edge of town. There is plenty of free parking on the common next to the tower. The area is quite posh - a shiny new Maserati parked up next to me, and I noted a lot of plummy accents as I walked.


The route led me across the common, part of which is used as a golf course, across the River Blythe and through the Walberswick South Nature Reserve which is an area of marshland reedbeds by the sea. I kept my eyes peeled for Bearded Tits, but had no joy.

The dogs taking a breather before going through the marsh. They had to stay on the lead so as not to disturb the nesting birds (and also to prevent them from rolling in marsh mud):-
 
 I headed back along the beach to Walberswick, the dogs had a good frolic in the waves, they were acting like puppies. The shoreline was a bit of a disaster area with a couple of dead dog fish and thousands of bedraggled insects that must have been blown out to sea. I stopped to give first aid to a couple of bumble bees but left the rest to take their chances.



No comments:

Post a Comment